Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Gregorian Rite: Notice How He Holds His Fingers?

Photo by Karsh of Ottawa.
When I was just a boy the greatest appeal to me in favor of the Extraordinary Form of the Roman rite was how the priest kept his fingers after the elevation of the host until the ablutions after Communion, which I had seen illustrated in old photos in hand missals. 
"The chalice I use every day in Holy Mass was used in St. Petersburg in its days of faith."
-Treasure in Clay by Archbishop F.J. Sheen.

4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I wish I had read this post sooner. The priest who celebrated Mass in my parish this evening happened to have only three fingers on his right hand: the thumb, the index finger and the middle finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tradition continues. About a year ago I noticed that
    the new pastor at our parish maintained the custom while
    celebrating Mass. For those with eyes to see, it is a
    powerful sign of belief in the Real Presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you have access to people/information I am having difficulty in obtaining. Do you know where I can get some information on making a replacement ostensorium Veil (I believe it is called that-monstrance veil) I need to make a replacement for the one we have now which is well, not good looking..do you know where I can get some information? Thanks
    ljfreund@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I recall, the posture of the priest during the celebration of mass, with hands extended above the shoulders and fingers extended except for the index finger which is held opposed to the thumb, is symbolic of holding of Aaron's rod. Also a sign of reverence for the index finger and thumb which are about to touch the Blessed Sacrament.

    ReplyDelete