Friday, December 23, 2016

Where Yours Truly Was Baptized

Church of the Nativity of Our Lord in the city named for the Apostle to the Gentiles, Saint Paul. 

Constructed in 1938.  Divine Providence led me here as an infant.  It is the first church I ever entered. Yours truly received, by God's grace, Baptism, First Penance, First Holy Communion and Confirmation at this altar.  

I was baptized here on Palm Sunday by Monsignor Clarence J. Steiner, who was appointed pastor in 1964.

In my youth, I was an active altar boy here, sometimes serving three Masses in one day.  Nativity was one of the first parishes in the nation to establish Perpetual Adoration, in the early 1990s. 

A very unique church - it even has something extremely rare in North America - a partial rood screen (located above, not seen in the photo).

It would be nice to see the tabernacle veil restored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment