Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Archbishop Sheen Defends Venerable Pius XII

"During the summer months following that incident, I went to Rome, and one evening had dinner with Cardinal Pacelli, the future Pope Pius XII, who was then the Secretary of State.  The next morning I visited him in his office and he said to me: 'Will you please tell me what you know about the university and the opposition to the rector, James H. Ryan.'  I answered: 'Your Eminence, I beg to be excused from any comment about the university and its rector.'  At that point the Cardinal dropped the subject, and pulled out a number of German newspapers from a file and began reading and translating them.  For over an hour he spoke with considerable vehemence against Hitler and Nazism."

-Treasure in Clay by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, c. 1980, p. 46.

No comments:

Post a Comment