Friday, November 25, 2016

Rome Quotes

"What my wife and I say to ourselves when we hear the, 'well, like, you know, totally, oh my gosh, for sure, dude, whatever' Americanish on the buses in Rome.  'Hic enim aut barbarus semisermo discendus est aut tacendum est.'  For around here one either has to learn a barbarous half-language or say nothing at all.  St. Jerome's seventh letter.  And these are the college students who are wealthy enough and "educated" enough to spend a semester abroad in Rome. Lord, save us from education!"

-Jonathan 

1 comment:

  1. I was grateful to hear anything but valley girl talk while living in Rome, and subjected to the ATAC - aka - Air-Tight-Animal-Cage. No, I do not miss the daily ritual of shouting, "scende" while fighting to get off the bus for university!

    ReplyDelete